|Localized Name(s)|| Mr. K|
Kunio (くにお) is the first recurring and protagonist character of the series. He serves as the guardian of Nekketsu High School against rival schools and is the captain of his school's Dodgeball team, although he excels at other sports (such as soccer and hockey). Despite his roughed up appearance and scowl, he is deemed a nice person who helps those in need of it.
Nekketsu Kōha Kunio-kun
Kunio first appears in Nekketsu Kōha Kunio-kun, where he is chasing a gang and trying to get revenge for his beaten friend, Hiroshi. In the Famicom version, Kunio has to rescue Hiroshi from the leader of a yakuza gang, Sabu.
Nekketsu Kōkō Dodge Ball Bu
His second appearance is in Nekketsu Kōkō Dodgeball Bu, and he is the captain of Team Nekketsu HS. In the opening sequence (JP arcade version) he is being hit by a dodge ball thrown by a passing thug and his teammates chasing after said thug.
Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari
- In Renegade, Kunio was known as a nameless vigilante (Mr. K in the NES version), who had to rescue his girlfriend from a gang thug.
- In NES version of Super Dodge Ball, Kunio was named Sam, a captain of Team USA.
- In River City Ransom, Kunio is known as Alex.
- In Crash 'n the Boys: Street Challenge, Kunio was named Jeff "Crash" Cooney, a captain of Team Southside High School.
- In River City Ransom Underground Alex's full name was Alex Kun
- He is named after Technōs Japan's former president, Kunio Taki.
- Kunio is the only character, who's name was not mixed up in Nintendo World Cup.
- The character Yusuke Urameshi from the Yu Yu Hakusho bares a resemblance to him.
- Kunio's birthday is on Nov. 27.